Saturday, June 30, 2007

A few tasting notes

on Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve, 20 year old bourbon whiskey. A certain blogger presented me with a bottle as a gift, and I have to say, it is clearly in my top handful of all time spirits.

This is, without a doubt, the smoothest bourbon whiskey that has ever touched Fredo's lips. As the distiller diluted it to 90 proof, my instinct was to avoid any further dilution. And that was definitely the way to go. Ice or water would be a crime in this bourbon, which is basically a dessert, even when enjoyed neat (as I did for the purposes of this tasting).

The initial nose was intense, but behind the initial burn were whisps of chocolate, oak, and cherry. Texture was buttery, and the legs were slow and steady. Flavor lingered on each sip, and, despite the strong nose, there was very little harshness, once it was on the palette. Those who prefer their bourbon with a little Southern fight might want to look elsewhere, as this bourbon was true to its label: a brand that Grandpa would distill for his family. You know how your Grandfather is happy to tell you his stories, but always tilts towards the heartwarming over all of the rough patches? If your Grandfather was the same way, trust me, this is definitely the bourbon he'd want you drink.

3 comments:

ManBeast said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ManBeast said...

I was fortunate enough to have a few sips as well. While I'm not generally the biggest bourbon drinker, I have to say this one is fantastic. It almost reminded me of butterscotch. Delicious!

SheaHeyKid said...

I'm looking forward to a nip as well!

As they say, what goes around comes around, as just one day later I was the recipient of a beautiful 18 yr old Macallan - which is as close as you can get to putting perfection into a bottle - from none other than my mother-in-law. Can't top that!!

AddThis

Bookmark and Share

Always sniffing for the truth

Always sniffing for the truth

Blog Archive