Monday, April 28, 2008

Sports towns I could live in

As a native New Yawker, I know that no other town is even close when it comes to sports. But if I had to choose, I'll offer my top 10 list of cities I could live with if I had to move.

My criteria: must have an MLB team, NL's a big plus. Must have an NFL team, AFC a slight plus. Certain NCAA MBB teams are a big plus. Certain NHL franchises can be a plus. And I'll be honest: there's not a lot of science to this, just gut feeling.

And with that, here's my list:

10. Phoenix

I have a weird affection for the Cards. Love their unis, and I'm a Jets fan, so I can't help but feel for loveable losers like this crew. The D'Backs are cool. Arizona State b-ball has one of my favorite coaches--Herb Sendek. And I always liked the Winnipeg Jets.

9. Minneapolis

Gotta love the Vikings. Norris Division at its best (coldest). Plus, even though its AL, I could get behind the Twins in a hey ho. Kirby Puckett casts a long shadow.

8. Kansas City

Chiefs. Hank Stram baby! And Herm Ed... er, nevermind. Plus, there's something that will always be old school, 70's variety, about the Royals.

7. San Francisco

Cross town baseball rivalries are always beautiful, though this one loses a little luster since the Giants main rival lies hundreds of miles to the South. Doesn't matter though. The Giants are the team I was suppossed to be able to root for, before that bastard Horace Stoneham stole my team and moved them to the left coast.
Plus, I've always liked the Silver and Black since the Plunkett/Allen era.

6. Chicago

On paper, I should like them more. Cubs. Bears. DePaul. And yet this one's still something of a paper tiger for me. My heart just doesn't engage.

5. Denver

Not a lot of tradition with the Rox, but I could still get on board with those guys. Coors Field is a great name, and apparently a great stadium. Broncos: c'mon, who doesn't like the Broncos?

4. Pittsburgh

Would've been my #1 15 years ago, before the Pirates organization fell into disrepair. Still, they've got a great tradition as a scrappy team for blue collar fans. Ditto the Steelers, except without the disrepair. Pitt bball and football is a nice fringe benefit.

3. Boston

Let's face it. By all right should be number 1. BoSox: tradition galore. BC would be great fun at the college level. Bruins are cool. The Pats are my stumbling block, obviously. If I wasn't a Jets fan, I'm sure Beantown would be my #1.

2. St. Louis

The Cards alone could carry this pick. Tradition-rich NL baseball (think Stan the Man) done with small ball, speed and fundamentals. The Whitey Way (I choose to ignore the LaRussa era, despite World Championship). Then you've got the Rams (wish it was still the Cards, but hey, the Rams are a bit better). Billikens basketball baby! And the Blues have always been a team an out-of-towner could root for. Plus, love the positive vibe St. Louis fans maintain in supporting all their teams.

1. Cincinnati

That's right. Home of the Red Stockings. The Big Red Machine. Every kid's favorite player--Johnny Bench (especially since I was a catcher growing up). Charlie Hustle. The Nasty Boys. Chris Sabo (hah!). Even Marge Schott made life interesting.

Then there's the Bengals. Hey, say what you want, but I've loved those guys ever since Kenny Anderson, Chris Collinsworth, and that big Fullback dude who failed to score on 4th-and-goal from the one in Super Bowl XVI. I was a little less a fan of the Ickey Woods-Boomer Esiason era squad, but rooted for them too.

Xavier basketball, also a big plus.

Honorable Mention:

Washington, Tampa Bay, Los Angeles, Raleigh/Durham

1 comments:

dark commenteer said...

Awesome list--I'll post mine later.

Already can see there'll be some crossover...

AddThis

Bookmark and Share

Always sniffing for the truth

Always sniffing for the truth

Blog Archive