Sunday, February 01, 2009

Buying GM and my first handgun

1) I purchased a Chevy Malibu yesterday after a lengthy 3 day battle with my subconscious over whether I should spend $7K more and buy the Cadillac CTS. My prudent, cheap side won out. It's a pretty awesome car if you're in the market for a mid-size car.

Anyway, here was the cool thing - I had GM employee pricing (my sister is a GM engineer in Detroit), plus a January rebate, plus customer loyalty money (I currently have a Buick). So the Malibu, which had a MSRP of $29K, was knocked down to $23K, and the Cadillac, at $38.5, was about $30K.

Here's why I'm sharing this with you: GM employee pricing has been extended to friends of salaried GM employees, not just family. My sister has offered any Occasional Observer members access to a GMS discount code.

If you do use the code, it makes buying the car very easy. You walk into a dealer and say you qualify for GMS pricing, and they have a fixed price for each car and options package.

I'm working on SHK to buy an all wheel drive 2009 CTS. If you're in the right economic position, this is a great time to buy a car.

2) On a lighter note, I'm looking at buying a hand gun. Anyone out there with advice? I'm basically looking to exercise my 2nd amendment rights, and do some occasional target shooting.

8 comments:

Fredo said...

Did you want the handgun for home defense purposes as well, or strictly for target?

Fredo said...

BTW, that is a great offer. Please thank your sister for me on behalf of our contributors. If I was in the market right now, I'd be looking at a Traverse, a G8, or a CTS, depending on whether I wanted to practical, guido, or classy. Unfortunately, I'm in the "spend no money" mode which means riding my Explorer (approx 67K miles) into the ground--at least a few more years.

dark commenteer said...

I hear that--we've got just over $1000 left on our Grand Prix and the Grand Caravan just rolled 10k miles.

Thanks for the offer, though.

And I concur w/Fredo--we need more info before we can give an informed opinion. Price range, ammo cost and availability, home defense vs target only, revolver vs semi-auto, size, recoil. They're all factors that have to be ranked because with handguns, more than almost any other purchase, there are drastic trade-offs. One gun cannot do it all so you've gotta decide what the most important considerations are...

Fredo said...

I'll give you my biases. If you're looking for home defense plus target, you can't do better than a .357 Magnum revolver. Allow me to recommend this one.

The revolver's reliability makes it a great home defense weapon. The .357 mag has plenty of stopping power, but if you're looking to target shoot you can fire .38 special rounds through the gun, which have much lighter recoil.

If you're strictly looking to target shoot and plink, you can't do better than this all time classic.

dark commenteer said...

Do I detect a Ruger bias?

Not bad choices though.

I'd also throw in the venerable 1911 (http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?model=6) and if you want to go with a 9mm (not for home defense but a nice accurate weapon that carries well) look at Sig Sauers (P226 or 229--also available in .40 or .357) (http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=7&productid=90).

Or you could man up and go with this: http://www.magnumresearch.com/Expand.asp?ProductCode=Black-6

Man, I wish I knew how to do that hyperlink stuff...

Fredo said...

Well, they're made in the USA, and they're well made. Also a fan of S&W, but you usually need to shell a little more for the privelege.

I see you went with some classics, DC. Gotta love the 1911. Sig is an import, no?

dark commenteer said...

Anyone that doesn't love the 1911 is a Commie bastard!

And SIG is currently "headquartered in Exeter, New Hampshire," whatever that means.

All I know is it's a damn fine, sexy weapon...

SingleWing said...

I'm back after 4 days! Sorry!

I don't want a pea shooter, but I'm not looking for the gun from the show Sledge Hammer, either. It doesn't need much stopping power.

I like the idea of semi-automatic like a Glock or something.

I will check out some of the guns you mentioned and let you know how it goes.

Buy American.

AddThis

Bookmark and Share

Always sniffing for the truth

Always sniffing for the truth

Blog Archive