Monday, June 22, 2009

Gotta love Gov. Sanford

Takes 4 days off to hike to the Appalachian trail, in and out of cell coverage. His political opponents use it as an opportunity to say he's AWOL and unreliable.

Unfortunately, Drudge bought that malarkey HL&S, and front paged the story.
[UPDATE: I should have known--you don't doubt Drudge]

For those of you who don't know, Gov Sanford has a lot of Republican enemies in the S.C. legislature, ever since he went to the wall with them on all their pork projects. Apparently, he thinks power comes with the responsibility to cut spending, not just churn out goodies for political supporters. Some of the GOP senators in the state senate didn't take kindly when Sanford showed up with one pig under each arm for a photo shoot, to make a point.

Anywho, he goes hiking for four days, and one of his detractors (state Sen. Jake Knotts) comes out with this line:

“As the head of our state, in the unfortunate event of a state of emergency or homeland security situation, Governor Sanford should be available at all times to the chief of SLED,” the senator said.

“I want to know immediately who is running the executive branch in the governor’s absence,” Knotts said.


Now, I understand that things can crop up, and a Governor needs to be available. But c'mon, what is Knotts worried about? Georgia planning on invading the state or something?

I'm glad that Sanford is an outdoorsman, a statesman who values solitude and reflection, and not a little sissy-girl like Knotts.

My $.02.

5 comments:

SheaHeyKid said...

Turns out Sanford was in Argentina to "do something exotic," not in Appalachian trail.

Either way, I do think as a public official he has a responsibility to have a proper chain of command in place and for at least one staff member to know his whereabouts. I'm surprised by his actions, especially given the fact that supposedly he has been very open about his vacation plans in the past and met no resistance. I do think this is the type of issue that could derail any attempt he makes to run for President. I can see it now - if you couldn't even handle the heat of a stimulus bill, how are you going to handle the far tougher pressure of the presidency?

Fredo said...

Indeed. I saw the Argentina story as well, and while I'm holding my fire b/c I don't think the full set of facts are out yet, it has changed my outlook on his actions.

Also, keep in mind that his staff reported over the weekend that they did know his whereabouts all along, despite the Drudge/State report to the contrary. If that turns out not to be true, that also changes my outlook on the matter.

SheaHeyKid said...

Also, right or wrong his actions also give the media the opportunity to further dump on the Republican party at a time when we can't afford it.

SheaHeyKid said...

One thing that concerns me though is his claim that he often goes on exotic adventures to unwind. He's basically all but giving his opponents the ammo to say he could never handle the responsibilities of the presidency.

Fredo said...

When I said "I don't think all the facts are out yet", I didn't realize just how right I had it...

AddThis

Bookmark and Share

Always sniffing for the truth

Always sniffing for the truth

Blog Archive