Thursday, October 21, 2010

Wha Happened?

Tying into the last post on this blog, about the political risk involved in nominating political neophytes, is today's installment of foot-in-mouth disease.

Scott Conroy has an article up at RCP discussing how the Tea-party GOP candidates have a very divergent set of beliefs on GWOT. Angle and Rubio have been decidedly interventionist. Miller, Paul and Raese are overtly skeptical about the value of nation building.

Ken Buck is also sketpical. He points out, justifiably, that there are important cultural, social, and economic differences between post-War Germany (where nation building was a success) and present-day Afghanistan. He explained the difference thusly:

"It's a fundamental mistake to assume that a people as backward as the Afghans are going to be able to build...what we would consider a Western-style democracy." [my emphasis]

That slapping sound is my palm hitting my forehead.

I'm just praying we can get through these next two weeks and drag Buck, Angle, and Miller (BAM!), over the finish line. Miller seems like the only one with a chance to actually get reelected, but I'll take what I can get while I can.

0 comments:

AddThis

Bookmark and Share

Always sniffing for the truth

Always sniffing for the truth

Blog Archive