Saturday, December 23, 2006

'Round the campfire liturgical music

It really, really annoys me. Distracts me from prayer most everytime I go to mass, since it has become so ubiquitous. I just came across a great essay on the topic by Thomas McFaul. Here's my favorite part:

Try to imagine what it would be like if the rest of the Church's art were dumbed-down to this degree. Paint-on-velvet say, replacing the Sistine Chapel ceiling. Or an upturned bathtub with a plastic Virgin, spray painted blue, replacing the Bernini's. Would the clergy and faithful sit by silently and endure such an insult? Is music a less important art form in the eyes of the modern church? It would seem so.

0 comments:

AddThis

Bookmark and Share

Always sniffing for the truth

Always sniffing for the truth

Blog Archive