Tuesday, October 02, 2007

It's so rare to be surprised by a film

especially one I figured to be just another hack-em-up. But I just saw 2000's American Psycho for the first time, and it turned out to be an exceptional hack-em-up. A film with very similar thematic issues to Fight Club, which came out around the same time, if I'm not mistaken. Satirizing the banality of American culture, American greed, American relationships and sex, and ultimately, even the banality of American serial killers. I ended up repeatedly laughing out loud at the absurdity and self-destructive antics displayed by the main characters. Eventually the movie leaves you feeling a little dirty for enjoying the movie, which is probably part of the slap in the face the producers were hoping for: yes I, too, am part of the problem of American banality. And admitting it is the first step towards recovery.

This is clearly a movie that needs to be watched multiple times to figure out what is real and what is in the main character's mind. But the great lines can be enjoyed the first time through, but they're so much better with the delivery:

Patrick Bateman: [voice-over] There is a moment of sheer panic when I realize that Paul's apartment overlooks the park... and is obviously more expensive than mine.
----------------------------------------------------------
Patrick Bateman: I don't think we should see each other any more.
Evelyn Williams: Why? What's wrong?
Patrick Bateman: I need to engage in homicidal behaviour on a massive scale. It can not be corrected but I have no other way to fulfill my needs.
Evelyn Williams: What about the past?
Patrick Bateman: We never really shared one.
-------------------------------------------
Patrick Bateman: [excusing himself from Detective Kimball] Listen, you'll have to excuse me. I have a lunch meeting with Cliff Huxtable at the Four Seasons in 20 minutes.
---------------------------------------------
Patrick Bateman: He was into that whole Yale thing.
Donald Kimball: Yale thing?
Patrick Bateman: Yeah, Yale thing.
Donald Kimball: What whole Yale thing?
Patrick Bateman: Well, he was probably a closet homosexual who did a lot of cocaine. That whole Yale thing.
-------------------------------------------------
Patrick Bateman: Paul Allen has mistaken me for this d--ckhead Marcus Halberstram. It seems logical because Marcus also works at P&P and in fact does the same exact thing I do and he also has a penchant for Valentino suits and Oliver Peoples glasses. Marcus and I even go to the same barber, although I have a slightly better haircut.
-----------------------------------------------
Timothy Bryce: [after snorting "cut" cocaine] I want to get high off this, not sprinkle it on my f--king Oaties.
Patrick Bateman: Definitely weak, but I have a feeling that if we do enough of it we'll be okay.
Club Patron: [leans over from another booth] Will you keep it down? I'm trying to do drugs!
--------------------------------------
Victoria: [referring to the bloodstains on Bateman's sheets] What are those?
Patrick Bateman: Oh, uh, it's - cranberry juice. Uh, cran-apple.

7 comments:

ManBeast said...

New card.
What do you think ?
Whoa-ho. Very nice.
Look at that. Picked them up from the printer's yesterday.
Good coloring. That's bone.
And the lettering is something called Silian Rail.
It's very cool, Bateman, but that's nothing. Look at this.
That is really nice.
Eggshell with Romalian type. What do you think ?
Nice.
Jesus. That is really super. How'da nitwit like you get so tasteful?
I can't believe that Bryce...
prefers Van Patten's card to mine.
But wait. You ain't seen nothin' yet.
Raised lettering, pale nimbus... white.
Impressive. Very nice.
Hmm.
Let's see Paul Allen's card.
Look at that subtle off-white coloring.
The tasteful thickness of it.
Oh, my God. It even has a watermark.

Fredo said...

Classic, Beast, just classic.

Fredo said...

Silian Rail!!!!

ManBeast said...

That's bone.

dark commenteer said...

"I have to return some videotapes!"

One of my all time favorite movies--glad to see you finally listened to me and checked it out.

BTW, the book is 10 times more graphic and bizarre.

Strawberry Girl said...

I've only seen the movie once, so the videotape thing mystified (but amused) me. What's your take on this-just an 80's thing (like Rubik's cubes or Walkmans) or something more?

dark commenteer said...

I think the movie is so rooted in 80's references and social structure that it absolutely helps to have lived in the decade or at least be familiar with it. Will AP resonate at all with the younger generation beyond being a dark satiric comedy? Not to the extent that we can--it's akin to an inside joke, either you're a part of it or not.

Pop culture references aside, the basic plot of a guy slipping into madness (which is all imagined--made much clearer in the book) is a timeless story. In this case, I feel it's almost Kafkaesque in its absurdist tone.

Bottom line--cool flick that was improperly maligned upon release (the critics obviously missed the joke) which should go down in the annals as one of the great '80's films (despite being released in 2000...).

AddThis

Bookmark and Share

Always sniffing for the truth

Always sniffing for the truth

Blog Archive