Friday, October 12, 2007

Today's word of the day

Swill

What's great about this word is that it's both a noun:

n.
1. A mixture of liquid and solid food, such as table scraps, fed to animals, especially pigs; slop.
2. Kitchen waste; garbage.
3. A deep draft of liquor.
4. Nonsense; rubbish.


and a verb:

v.tr.
1. To drink greedily or grossly: “Unshaven horsemen swill the great wines of the Chateaux” (W.H. Auden).
2. To flood with water, as for washing.
3. To feed (animals) with swill.


So that in addition to swilling my drink, or drinking my swill, I can do cool things like "swill my swill".

Or, in the event I'm at a bar with SHK, I can "swill my swill while listening to his swill."

1 comments:

dark commenteer said...

I can think of another word that fits this description...

Hint: it is probably in the top 5 most commonly used words in DC's vocabulary.

AddThis

Bookmark and Share

Always sniffing for the truth

Always sniffing for the truth

Blog Archive