Wednesday, November 05, 2008

And When I Thought I Couldn't Bear More Bad News...

R.I.P. Michael Crichton.

One of my all-time favorite authors, his novels were often turned into popcorn films. Some of these movies are classics (Jurassic Park, Andromeda Strain), some solid (Rising Sun, Disclosure), many abyssmal (Congo, Sphere, Timeline). However, the source material outshone even the best of the films by an immeasurable margin.

He was the father of the modern techno-thriller, often warning of the dangers of science when unchecked by morality. Crichton was a doctor and his background in science and medicine carried over to his meticulous research for his novels. In fantastic situations, the science-fiction was always based closely on existing or developing technology and theories.

One of his last books was his most controversial--State Of Fear. I highly recommend it to all OccObs readers and anyone else that I can convince to pick it up. It is a scathing criticism of global warming that caused Crichton to be villified in many circles. The best part is that he bases all his statements on scientific research and includes footnotes in a fictional work to back up his points. The bibliography is about 25 pages--truly a beautiful thing.

Godspeed, Michael.

2 comments:

Fredo said...

The only of his books that I read was "Sphere," which I thought was phenomenal. I'd say the movie was average, but maybe that's only cause I loved the book.

The obits I read made him sound like a fascinating and startlingly normal human being. Unusual for such a creative thinker.

Fredo said...

State of Fear, eh?

It's now in the queue.

AddThis

Bookmark and Share

Always sniffing for the truth

Always sniffing for the truth

Blog Archive