Thursday, June 12, 2008

Another Day in the Life

The Boy Scouts in Iowa showed us who are the real Americans in this country. Hearing some of the interviews on Fox News today ... Wow, it was hard not to get choked up listening to a bunch of 14 and 15 year olds talk about self-sacrifice and putting their buddies and leaders before themselves. I'm proud that I was a Boy Scout, and on days like this it makes you want to throw down with the PC groups that constantly try to undermine the BSA for staying true to their Christian roots.

Sent my Q2 estimated taxes in today (I'm self employed), and with SHK's extrapolation of our future tax rates, I'm sizing up flat tax countries I might emigrate to such as Singapore or Ireland. Fredo, any suggestions on where we can move to?

5 comments:

Fredo said...

Sent in my Q2 estimated myself a couple of weeks ago. As for my destination of choice:

Alaska.

OK, so it's not a flat tax country.

But, you get to stay in the good old U.S. of A.

And, it is the only state where they pay you cash money, just for being a resident citizen.

Plus, in Alaska, the bears are large, and men carry .454 Casull just because they can.

As Yakov Smirnoff would say, "What a country!"

Fredo said...

BTW, didn't get to see the interviews, but God Bless the BSA-- and those young men and their families.

SheaHeyKid said...

Horrible news about the Boy Scouts. SW's comments about self-sacrifice remind me of a meeting I was in yesterday. I was in an all-day, in-house seminar on energy / environment / national security. We were on the topic of policy, and discussing why it is that some projects that are of national interest can be implemented in certain parts of the country, whereas in other parts you get NIMBY (not in my backyard). People were tossing out various thoughts, at which point the guy in charge of the whole seminar says "Well, I'm originally from Texas, and I'm going to throw something else out there. Let's face it, certain parts of the country are just more patriotic than others." It was great - you could just feel the backlash in the room since almost all the people there are originally from MA and they were not pleased with the dig!

Obama is basically on record as saying he would increase capital gains tax from today's 15% to at least 20-25%; he would roll back at least the top two tax brackets to at least what they were under Clinton; and he would likely double the ceiling on Soc. Sec. tax. However, one has to remember that he has proposed at least $250 B in new spending, and it seems likely he will have to raise other tax brackets to achieve that. Or of course he can eliminate the unnecessary defense budget, since apparently he'll be able to effectively deal with any remaining bad guys in the world just through dialog.

dark commenteer said...

Alaska's nice but I'm heading to Australia...

Fredo said...

That Ozone hole is getting pretty close to Melbourne. They might be moving here soon.

AddThis

Bookmark and Share

Always sniffing for the truth

Always sniffing for the truth

Blog Archive