Monday, June 23, 2008

A little questionnaire from Race 4 2008

Alex Knepper posted the following a few days ago:

Question of the Week

Since I’ve been fixated on foreign policy lately, I’d like you all to fill out a little survey — this is just out of personal curiosity, and because I’d like to get a sense of where you all are at regarding foreign policy, since it’s a little-discussed issue on this site.

1. Which sect do you feel most closely aligns with your overall view of foreign policy in regard to the war against jihadism? (Neoconservatives, realists, non-interventionists, etc.)

2. Do you view military action against Iran as inevitable?

3. Do you believe, in any way at all, that the Bush Administration was deceitful while making its case for the Iraq War?

4. Where will the war against jihadism rank in priority when casting your vote in November?


I'd be interested in seeing how y'all feel on the topic.

2 comments:

SheaHeyKid said...

Great questions, no good answers. My short responses:

1. Pre-emptive ok if imminent threat is CLEAR; must have well-defined entrance and exit strategy; use overwhelming force from start to finish. Do not use military force to promote democracy; use more covert methods to support pro-Western factions within closed societies.

2. Inevitable meaning we should or meaning we will? I'd say <25% we'll use military force against Iran, and Israel would only do so with US blessing.

3. Tough to say, at least seems like they took a slanted view of all available evidence.

4. Tied with economy and taxes for #1. All other items way down on the list.

If you want an interesting read, go here. It's long, but worth reviewing w.r.t. Iran. Then read the counterpoints after the article by various authors; they are also quite interesting. The main author is someone I saw speak at my workplace recently, that's how I came across this. I'm not sure I've formed an opinion yet on Iran and military action, but from what I've read all choices basically stink.

Fredo said...

I'll translate your answers:

1. Realist
2. No
3. Hedging
4. Tied for first

I'll give you mine:

1. Realist
2. No
3. Yes
4. Second (after the Court)

AddThis

Bookmark and Share

Always sniffing for the truth

Always sniffing for the truth

Blog Archive