Saturday, June 14, 2008

When it rains it pours.

Just one of those days I guess.

I woke up feeling good, and decided to bang out a few Sat. morning odds-and-ends so I could get on with my weekend.

First up--call Verizon. They botched my billing and it took them a few months to credit me for their overcharges, but now that was resolved. I got an email from them mid-week that said I needed to "approve" their customer agreement again, since my billing rate was different. I could do it online, said the email, by clicking on a hyperlink. The link didn't work. After a few phone calls, I realized I had to get a paper agreement.

After getting transferred a few times, and spending about 30 minutes on hold, they seemingly "resolved" the issue. I'll get a new email on Tuesday with a new link that's going to work. I was skeptical, but at least I was done for today.

______________________________

Second issue: the letter from my homeowner's insurance company stating that we're being cancelled b/c of the risk of "storm related damage." It turns out I've also got to call my insurance agent to make sure that the automatic payment information they have on file for my auto insurance is correct as well, b/c I switched banks.

I get some guy named Bob on the phone I've never spoken to before.

"Hey Bob. I went on the Travelers Insurance website and updated my bank information 3 weeks ago, but I never got a confirm. I think they're goint to do the next bank debit at the end of this week and I want to confirm they have the right number."

"OK," he tells me, "I'll call Travelers and call you right back."

Sure enough, 3 minutes later, the phone rings.

"Travelers is closed. I have no way to verify if the bank info is correct. AND, I can see the debit is going to happen on Monday. I'll have Mary Lou give you a call Monday morning after she double-checks on the bank info."

"Well, Bob, that's a problem, b/c if they debit the wrong bank, the principal curtailment check I just sent my mortgage company is going to bounce. So I sure hope 3 weeks was enough lead time for them."

"Me too, Fredo. Me too.
[Uncomfortable pause]
You said you also had an issue on your homeowners?"

"Yeah. They're cancelling me."

"Well, it's not really cancellation. They're re-rating you. They'll offer you coverage at a higher rate."

"How much higher?"

"A lot higher.
[Uncomfortable pause]
I'll have Mary Lou get you more info Monday morning."

Getting off the phone, it occurs to me that, 20 minutes after my first call, I know nothing that I didn't know 20 minutes earlier.

_______________________________________

Next projectI've got to call the dodge dealer to make an appointment for my van to be serviced. It picked up a steering column rattle last week.

Oh wait! I forgot, I need to go to Ace for some mulch and garden fencing. I get in the trusty old and truck and roll down the windows.

Crunch!

Rear driver window motor/belt is busted, and the window's stuck half way down. OK, so I force the window shut by pushing it up, but now I have two cars that need servicing.

Back inside to make the appointments-- truck on Tuesday, van on Friday.

_______________________________

The phone rings.

A reminder that my Dad's coming over tomorrow and planning on grilling some steaks. Of course, my gas grill is busted. When you light the right-most burner, it doesn't project the fire towards the grill, but rather, towards the griller. A busted burner has to be a manufacturer's defect, so I call Lowe's, where I bought it.

First call:

Hi, I'm trying to get your service department. "I'll put you through."

Hold music. Hold music. Hold music.

"How can I help you?"

Bought my grill there, and it's busted. How do I get it fixed?

"Hang on."

Hold music. Hold music. Hold music.

click.

Second call:

"How can I help you?"

"Just got disconnected w/ your service department--they're helping me with a BBQ."

"I'll reconnect you"

Ring. Ring. Ring. Ring. Ring. Ring.Ring. Ring. Ring.Ring. Ring. Ring.Ring. Ring. Ring.Ring. Ring. Ring.Ring. Ring. Ring.Ring. Ring. Ring.

Busy signal...

Third call:

See 1st call. Complete repeat.

Fourth call:

"How can I help you?"

"This is my fourth call, and I keep getting disconnected or hung up on. I need service to fix my BBQ. Can I get connected or not?"

"We're very busy sir, I'll try to connect you."

"Wait a second, it doesn't matter how busy...

Ring. Ring. Ring. Ring.

"Uh, hullo?"

"Who am I speaking with?"

"Leroy."

"Well Leroy, this is my 4th call, and I would like service for grill that I bought from you guys. It shoots flames at me when I use it."

"Wow. That's really messed up. Don't say I told you this, but the manager will probably replace it for you."

"OK, thanks."

"I'll connect you to the manager."

"What's his name?"

"Uh... I'm not sure. There's lots of managers. Probably Dawn. I'll connect you."

"OK, thanks Leroy."

Ring. Ring. Ring. Ring. Ring. Ring. Ring. Ring.

"Hey Jimmy, move it over the..." Click.

Fifth call:

Hi, I'm trying to reach the manager, Dawn.

I'll connect you.

Ring. Ring. Ring. Busy signal.

Sixth call:


See fifth call.

Seventh call:

You people keep disconnecting me and it's rude. Just get me the store manager.

"Sorry sir, we're very busy."

That's great.

Ring. Ring. Ring.

"hello?"

Is this the store manager?

No, this is millworks.

"Millworks? OK, that's great. I need to speak to the mgr, here's why [relate story]"

OK, I'll help you out. The manager isn't Dawn, it's Gus. I'll get him for you.

Ring. Ring. Ring.

"Hello?"

Is this Gus?

Yes it is.

Fantastic, Gus. [I relate problem]

OK. The problem is your grill is over 60 days old. We can't help you. You need to call the manufacturer. I'll get you the 800 number for Char Grill...


So I call Char Grill. They take me through a 20 minute self-diagnostic test on the grill. Tell me it sounds like I've got a busted burner, they'll replace it for free but I've got to pay S&H and do the install myself. Whatever, I just want to be done with this.

Next they tell me I've got to go to the Char Grill website, enter a reference number and my name, and scan in the receipt from Lowe's, after which time they'll approve my claim and send me the new burner.

I go online, enter my name and reference number, and get the message "Reference number not valid"

I just put the paperwork aside for the time being.

________________________________________________

I go outside to clean the filth off of my grill so I can replace the burner when it comes. As I'm cleaning, my older son jumps on our new hose-based sprinkler and breaks it.

We were using the hose-based sprinkler instead of the in-ground sprinklers b/c we wanted to water the garden and not the lawn. Now that it's busted, I figure I'll just turn on the IGS to make sure the garden gets enough water.

I flip it on for 10 minutes and make a startling discovery: about 1/4 of my front yard is not getting any coverage from the sprinklers.

OK, another call for the to-do list.

[/Rant]

5 comments:

dark commenteer said...

Ouch!

Just like my day--woke up, played Lego Indy on the PS2 for a bit, big breakfast, played w/the kid for a while, got in a workout, and am now getting ready to go to the first Mets game in my 7-game pack...

Oh wait, my day's been nothing like yours--sorry...

Look at the bright side though--tomorrow's Father's Day and you've got two great sons to celebrate it with.

It may pour when it rains but that just gives us water. Water can be frozen into cubes which can then be put into scotch.

What the hell was my point here? Oh yeah, pour yourself a drink, chalk this one off as one in the "L" column and don't look back...

Fredo said...

7 pack. Nice call! Looks like someone I know has subway series tix. Hmmm....

dark commenteer said...

No subway tix--got the "Shea Goodbye" pack. All weekend games and the final regular season game at Shea (which is looking like the last, period...).

Karma bit me before. As I'm commenting, my daughter out-poops the diaper's capacity leading to haz-mat clean-up, and then the weather report shows thunderstorms pounding the area this evening.

Discretion being the better part of valor, we're banking on a rainout tonight--figure that's a lot safer than sitting in the upper deck at Shea with no protection from lightning...

Fredo said...

Looks like...

You made the RIGHT CALL

SheaHeyKid said...

Here's what I take away from those stories: sounds like Verizon's got better service than Comcast, and Lowe's has even better service than Sears. Perhaps you should've oprima'd dos. Don't you just love trying to deal with customer service these days?

AddThis

Bookmark and Share

Always sniffing for the truth

Always sniffing for the truth

Blog Archive