Sunday, August 17, 2008

Kobe Bryant: Patriot

There were a lot of words I would have more instinctively placed after the colon, until I read this transcript over at the Opinionated Catholic:

Collinsworth: Tell the story when you first got your USA uniform.

Kobe: Well I had goosebumps and I actually just looked at it for awhile. I just held it there and I laid it across my bed and I just stared at it for a few minutes; just because as a kid growing up this is the ultimate, ultimate in basketball.

Collinsworth: Where does the patriotism come from inside of you? Historically, what is it?

Kobe: Well, you know it’s just our country, it’s... we believe is the greatest country in the world. It has given us so many great opportunities, and it’s just a sense of pride that you have; that you say "You know what? Our country is the best!"

Collinsworth: Is that a ‘cool’ thing to say, in this day and age? That you love your country, and that you’re fighting for the red, white and blue? It seems sort of like a day gone by(?)

Kobe: No, it’s a cool thing for me to say. I feel great about it, and I’m not ashamed to say it. I mean, this is a tremendous honor.

I don't even know how to play this from a curmodgenly angle. Good on you, Kobe.

UPDATE: The WSJ has a nice article up on Kobe.

1 comments:

SheaHeyKid said...

Saw an ESPN hour-long special on the "Redeem Team" and they focused on when Kobe was selected. He definitely was moved, welling up a bit the first time he put on the uniform. No question the players take it more seriously this time around, in no small part due to Coach K I'm sure impressing on them the importance of playing for your country. LeBron is also tearing it up. I hate the NBA and haven't watched since 2000 but the performance from these guys is almost enough to make me reconsider my decision.

On another note, I definitely have some thoughts on S. Ossetia but I was away the last few days and otherwise locked up with my new job. But i'd like to put down a few thoughts in the next day or so..

AddThis

Bookmark and Share

Always sniffing for the truth

Always sniffing for the truth

Blog Archive