Thursday, January 31, 2008

Well, this cinches it

I won't be voting McCain in the primary, even if it would have been nice to see the GOP choose a candidate before the Democrats.

Novak confirms John Fund's story about McCain's initial lukewarmness towards the nomination of Justice Alito:

[Fund] wrote that McCain "has told conservatives he would be happy to appoint the likes of Chief Justice Roberts to the Supreme Court. But he indicated he might draw the line on a Samuel Alito because 'he wore his conservatism on his sleeve.'" In a conference call with bloggers that day, McCain said, "I don't recall a conversation where I would have said that." He was "astonished" by the Alito quote, he said, and repeatedly tells town meetings, "We're going to have justices like Roberts and Alito."

I found what he could not remember was a private, informal chat with conservative Republican lawyers shortly after McCain announced his candidacy in April 2007. I talked to two lawyers present whom I have known for years and who have never misled me. One is neutral for president, and the other recently endorsed Mitt Romney. Each said they were not Fund's source, and neither knew I was talking to the other. They gave me nearly identical accounts, as follows:

"Wouldn't it be great if you get a chance to name somebody like Roberts and Alito?" one lawyer commented. McCain replied, "Well, certainly Roberts." Jaws were described as dropping. My sources cannot remember exactly what McCain said next, but their recollection is that he described Alito as too conservative.

9 comments:

ManBeast said...

That's great if your choices for President in Nov could be Romney or McCain. Unfortunately, there will be a Democrat with a very good chance at winning. Would you rather have someone who would appoint Roberts and hesistate on Alito or someone who will appoint more liberal judges who legislate from the bench?

SheaHeyKid said...

BTW, Rush continues to attack McCain. However, by claiming that the party is "fractured" and all the other candidates are "uninspired" he is helping no one. Rush, your two guys, Rudy and Fred, are OUT. Therefore, if you want to help the Republicans take back the principles you believe in AND win in November, start saying who we SHOULD support rather than just acting like a Democrat and just complaining about what you don't like. Perhaps he's working behind the scenes to get someone else to step up in the case of no clear leader by convention time, but as of now he is not helping consolidate the party.

SheaHeyKid said...

It is clear from their bitter interactions that there is zero chance of a McCain/Romney ticket, but can you imagine how solid that would be? I would say definite victory in Nov.

Fredo said...

Beasty,

I said "in the primary." Of course I'd still vote for Mac against a Dem.

Fredo said...

Matthew Miller at R 4 '08 is already floating the idea of a fractured convention drafting Pawlenty, who could make the short drive over from the governor's residence to the convention in Minneapolis to accept the nomination.

ManBeast said...

I know you said primaries. But, voting for Mitt has the same implications. There is some logic to the electibility agrument.

Fredo said...

Oh, I see your point. It's hard for me, given my all-seeing all-knowing vantage point, to prioritize data above my own gut instinct. All the data points to McCain being the most "electable" Republican. But the train wreck of his performance from last night is still fresh in mind, so today he doesn't seem much more electable than Romney.

ManBeast said...

Right, I forgot about the all-seeing vantage point that could correctly predict the rest of the primary outcomes when you challenged me. Oh, wait. It looks like I'm going to run away with that contest.

Ouch. Sorry. I've been watching too much Hillary. You're still the man Fredo.

Fredo said...

Yes, Beasty, you've done a nice job in the Challenge. Of course, if the polls bear out, I'll have picked as many winning contracts as you (4), but won't have doubled (or quadrupled) down on the wins as you did.

Would I have been able to successfully pick the right contracts to buy multiples, if I had known they were allowed? Ah, my friend, I guess we'll never know...

AddThis

Bookmark and Share

Always sniffing for the truth

Always sniffing for the truth

Blog Archive